What kind of collector are you? Maybe you enjoy wearing your bags, or perhaps you prefer to collect them for investment purposes?
The market has boomed in the last 10 years and there is now a huge demand for preloved vintage bags fuelled by celebrities and social media.
Top tips and which bags to invest in
- Top names include Hermes, Chanel, and Louis Vuitton
- Classic is always best such as Hermes including the iconic Birkin and Kelly, Chanel 2.55 flap bag and Louis Vuitton Speedy
- Consider limited edition bags although not a certainty that they will hold their value as fashion so important
- Many brands have stopped making exotic skin leathers, this could be a growth area but it is very difficult to predict
- Buy the best you can afford- condition is so important. If you do want to wear it try not to get it wet! and keep in the dust bag when not in use
- Beware of fakes- buy from a reputable auction house or dealer
- Look after your bags keeping the stuffing in them so they don’t lose their shape and keep in the original dust bag
- Keep original paperwork and boxes, so important for provenance especially with all the fakes around, gives buyers confidence
- Above all buy what you like and enjoy!
Susan Orringe from Orringe Consulting based in Hampshire but always happy to travel and often found in London, Guildford, Weybridge,and Winchester. She has carried out many valuations on designer bags and always happy to give advice.
Susan Orringe 7th February 2023
Contact Susan Orringe 07717 310310, 0208 187 1499 or 01730 710037